Sponsored Content: Firms partner to tackle trommel fines

(Left) Feed material and (right) washed sand output.

Waste management firm Ace Liftaway has announced plans to introduce a new 90tph trommel fines recycling plant to its waste recycling and processing facility in Hampshire.
The company already recycles up to 90% of all incoming waste streams, with the remaining 10% coming from trommel fines.

Ace Liftaway Managing director, Philip Liddell, says its investment in the CDE wet processing solution will help close the loop “Trommel fines have a lot of value in them and with this new solution we can extract resources with commercial resale value while saving on landfill disposal costs. It’s worthwhile economically and environmentally.”

Generally, trommel fines are produced as part of the recycling process and consist of materials such as wood, aggregate, sand, glass, and organics. CDE’s David Kinloch, says trommel fines contain more resource than they do waste.

“Trommel fines are a source of significant cost for contractors, but also one of opportunity. Whether they are subject to the standard or lower-rate landfill tax they represent a business expense, that is unless they are processed effectively. With CDE technology, a business can transform that cost into a fresh revenue stream through the recovery of clean sand and aggregates extracted from their trommel fines waste.”

Phillip adds, “The future really lies in maximising recovery from these waste streams. Wash plants like that designed and engineered for us by CDE are the future of our industry.
“We looked at other manufacturers, but CDE had the edge. They are leaders in this space who recognised an industry-wide problem and engineered a workable solution to address it.”

When commissioned, Ace Liftaway will produce a range of products for the secondary aggregates market, including: 0-2mm, 0-5mm, 5-10mm, 10-20mm and +20mm sized aggregates.